Thursday, August 19, 2010

Practice recap

First thing to remember is... bring a watch:) It is tough to tell groups to rotate when you have no idea how long it has been. The practice went well, I am very surprised with the arms in this group. I wish the team was playing on a full sized field because it would be an advantage.
Pitching:
Most have solid form off the mound, but 90% fly open with their front shoulder; they can get away with it at this stage, but most of my friends with that problem have either stopped playing or had arm surgery. I will put up some video up that can help with keeping the front shoulder closed and I will continue to work on it at practice. Ok I found a great video. The four points facing the target is a great visual. When I say the phrase"you need to stay closed," means that one of the four points are not going towards the target.


Fielding is my main concern at this point. It seems to be a crapshoot with our technique. What I mean is that the technique changes on each grounder. Please check out the videos from my earlier posts on how to approach a grounder and the importance of keeping the hands out in front of the body. Some of the problems I saw were weight on the heels, approaching the ball straight up and down, and straight back when fielding the grounder (your chin should be in front of your body.) You can have success while having these flaws, but it will be hard to field the ball consistently.

Any thoughts on what should go in the next practice plan? The only thing that is off limits is live hitting, it takes up the whole field:) We will have to get some cage time at MCRA.


No comments:

Post a Comment